Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Week of Thoughts and Highlights

So much has happened this week to be thankful for and excited about.

On Monday night, Alec and I made dinner together.  We tried a new recipe, because we had the time (we didn't have any classes!)  We made Italian Pizza Bake...we found the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box. ;)  YUM!!!  It really didn't even taste much like pizza...pretty much just chicken, biscuits, veggies, and cheese.  It was really good and we really hope to make it again soon.  It was so wonderful spending time with Alec and making dinner together.

Also on Monday, my friend, Heather, finally had her baby.  She named her Hayden Marie.  I am looking forward to seeing pictures of her.  What a happy time for Heather and her husband. :)

On Wednesday morning, I woke up at 5:00am, so I could get all ready for the day, leave home by 6:00am, drive across town to start babysitting for a family.  They have three girls: Anna (11), Aimee (9), and Marissa (7).  I had so much fun with them on Wednesday and Thursday mornings and afternoons this week.  On Wednesday afternoon, we played Trouble.  Marissa started to get upset when she started to lose and Aimee started to win.  Marissa threw a bit of a fit and shouted, "I HATE THIS GAME!  I HATE LOSING!  LOSING IS EVERYTHING!!"  Anna, Aimee, and I tried to convince Marissa that there is more to playing games than just winning all of the time.  And it's true.  It's more important to play games to have fun and enjoy spending time with people who are important to you than it is to win the games you play.  I look forward to learning more about myself and the truths of life from these wonderful girls! :)

Today, I spent some time at home watching movies and studying for my classes.  One of the movies I watched was "Bride Wars."  This movie reminded me of the importance of having really good friends who will stick next to you no matter what.  The friendship that Liv and Emma have, although for most of the movie they hate each other, is one of those friendships that will never be broken.  When it comes down to it, Liv is there for Emma when her engagement is called off.

Another movie I watched was "Confessions of a Shopaholic."  I can definitely relate to Rebecca's character, because I have found myself buying things that I don't need...even things that are on sale that I still don't need.  I love what her father said at the end of the movie: "Nothing defines me except you and your mother."  In today's culture where money and possessions seem to be the only thing that is important and the one thing that seems to define who we are, it is important to step back and see what else you have to live for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment